Spice of Life - Episode 4 (MIL to the Rescue, Pt 1)


SPICE OF LIFE (E-Book Series)
[CHAPTER 4] -  MIL to the Rescue, Pt 1

I spoke to Sope. Our Sweet Bikes! Our Sweet Bikes told him to mind his business and get over her. Jenjen words echoed in my head all through the night. For some reason, I just couldn’t find the perfect sleeping position. I couldn’t sleep. Which friend dates her friend’s ex, who does that? Is that what you think, or what helps you sleep at night. Why are you bothered now? Do you think she doesn’t know?

I wonder, Does Bikes really know about all Chuks escapades? What else does she know about? Does she know about our stupid plans? Did Sope tell her? If he was the one feeding Jenjen with Chuk’s gists, he may have ratted us out. Such a rat. Or could it be Mira? She does have a rat face. Lol. And She has been so opposed to this plan from the get-go. But what would she gain for sabotaging us? Asoebi Clothes? Mira is very annoying but not that petty.

Anyways, that is not my problem, we are going to see Chuks Mom tomorrow. Further conversations with Bikes, this evening revealed that Chuks had met all Bikes relatives, Wow!! This Boy is really determined to marry oh. I am still surprised with the way Chuks is carrying this whole matter. Like, what if he has changed for real. Or is there something else? These guys just started dating 6 months ago oh. Am I missing something else here? Or Am I just too vengeful to see that the love between them. Bikes is smitten no doubt but Chuks? Anyway, if Chuk’s Mom approves the union, I will hang my boots and consider this more like a business and genuinely wish them a happy married life. Bikes has not been home for a long time; we share a 2-bedroom apartment. To me, she’s married to this guy already.

So many other thoughts filled my head, spanning from Bikes to work - some refunds due to little mistakes, ushering agency I had a fall-out with because of the attitude of some ushers trying to seduce clients at a function, and one top company that declined my proposal at final stage, other proposals to pitch and dreams and plans to collaborate with Magi for online content and marketing, other suppressed memories and tears flowed freely till I drifted off.

“Rise and Shine, Dara of Life! Good morning, Princess”

I am wide awake and lazily staring into blank space, I forgot to close my door, Bikes was in and opening the windows so that the bright sunrays sting my subconscious eyes to reality.

“Hey Baby girl” We hugged tightly.

“You decided to remember us, Mrs. Ezeonu Junior” Abike blushed and smiled like a child who have been given candy.

“Very soon, by God’s grace” she said. I quickly assess her; she was fully dressed in a natural make-up and a boubou gown and scarf. Wow, this girl means this “my mother-in-law must love me” stuff oh. This is going to make my mission tough. She looks like a saint. Even her heels are block and modest. Bikes that loves 6-inches stilettos. Wow!

“Dara Oya get ready, so that we can start going, she said by 10am, and you know Mrs. Ezeonu Senior is a no-nonsense lady, I don’t want to give her any reason to hate me.”

“Oh Yeah, It’s Today” I said, Yawning and stretching widely.

In a twinkle of an eye, we were seated in Chuks car, Abike and Chuks at the back and me in front with the driver, driving to the Ezeonu's mansion at Banana Island, Ikoyi. I am awfully quiet and nervous. I wonder how Bikes must be feeling. Today I am meeting the main reason for my relationship ending with Chuks. The matriarch that controls the affairs of all Royal Group of Companies, one of  the top capitalized stocks in Nigeria.

Lolo Adaobi Ezeonu sits on the board of some companies and still controls the affairs of Royal Capital plc. She was listed in Forbes top 100 influential women of our time. A great woman indeed! From what Bikes and Chuks has said, she is a lover of perfection, and everything must go her own way. She has managed her late husband assets with an iron hand and done a good job. Everyone fears her including her 5 daughters, and Chuks her only son. You can imagine what a tough mom she must have been.

I am distracted by these two lovebirds laughing and making out, there in the car as if they are alone, what nonsense. I look at them using the rearview mirror. Chuks is looking at me, while kissing Bikes. How creepy is that? And they are making moaning sounds. The driver shifts uncomfortably too. I turn away and look at the road. I know, you are in love and all but please let us see road abeg. Why is Chuks still stealing glances at me? Or Am I stealing glances at them? Wo I don’t know joor, that um and ah is distracting and attention seeking. What’s all these na? Omo, Bikes must really love this guy and Chuks, he’s just a good romantic actor.

“Sweetheart, how do I say, Hope you are doing well ma in Igbo?” Bikes asked as soon as they broke away from the long smooching.

“Sugar, you don’t need all these Igbo language tutorials, my mom speak and understand fluent English.”

“I know but that’s her in the office, you said, in the house, Igbo is the only language spoken at home.” She argued.

“Okay, you know how to say good morning ma right”?

Ututu Oma, Ma” She replied.

Chuks Chuckled

“What’s it na? Ututu Oma, did I say it well? Does it mean something else? Baby tell me na” She tried to shake the answers off his laughing self.

“It’s Ututu Oma Ma, not yoututu ohma”

“Okay, Ututu Oma” It still sounded wrong in my ears, but Chuks applauded her.

He continues to teach her Igbo pleasantries, “Kedu”, “Adi m mma” and they both laugh at her mispronunciations. I try to think of something else, imagine the scenario when Iron Lady says No and orders Bikes and I to leave and never come back and this would happen after she has introduced us to one Chikodili, daughter of another business tycoon from Nnewi, who comes out, smiling sheepishly and trying to force Chuks to kiss her. What a dramatic scene. We should have gone in my car, now I will have to order Uber. Oh, the embarrassment, then we would now stand on the road like rejected lepers, one car would now splash water on us, then rain would start falling. Or maybe, she would be kind enough to tell one of her drivers to drop us. Chuks would try to chase after us, but she would call bouncers to bundle Chuks back to the mansion and forcefully. Okay, what if…  

My thoughts are interrupted by the honking of the car horn. We have arrived at the Ezeonu's mansion, Adaobi Ezeonu welcomes us from the balcony upstairs, she really looks like a strict person. I liked this! I could almost hear her, “no, you will never marry my son” and it hurt me, why is it hurting me, that’s supposed to be for Bikes? Or was it said directly to me?

I shake that thought out of my head, anyways so my stocked tissues will not be a waste. I had already planned to dash it to SSVP or use it for thanksgiving to God. Lol. Anyway.

“Udodi, Daalu nne” Bikes said as Chuks laugh heartily, His laughter is still the same. Like fire cackling as the woods and trees burn. Why do I feel like I am the woods and the trees burning. We stepped out of the car. Bikes looks so nervous, she smiles as Chuks holds her hand reassuringly. She looks at him with uncertainty for encouragement. I motioned to her with my hand to breathe then mouths “you're doing great” in a faint whisper.

The mansion was a large, rambling structure, with a red roof and white walls, overlooking the sea. The windows were tall and panned, and the front door was made of oak. The house was surrounded by a garden, full of flowers and trees. There was a fountain in the center of the garden, and a path that led to the front door. The inside of the house was just as beautiful as the outside. The walls were painted a soft yellow, and the floors were made of marble. The furniture was antique, and the carpets were thick and luxurious.

She could not hold her excitement as we walk into the large living room with a chandelier, The interior was designed like a palace, gold upholstery and awesome medieval paintings and artworks. There are real flowers on the table real rose flowers, mesmerizing, I could imagine myself living in this house. I could see myself serving dinner in this awesome dining room, with my family gathered around me. I and Abike were so mesmerized by the awesomeness, we did not even notice that Chuks had left us.

“Gosh Dara, can you see this place, woah! Like.. This house is my dream house. It is the kind of house that I could see myself growing old in. The kind of house that I could see myself raising a family in. It was the kind of house that I could see myself spending the rest of my life in. I could see myself waking up to the sound of the waves crashing on the shore.”

She reaches out to touch a painting.

“You better do not dare!”

We were stopped from admiring a painting of a young woman in her prime. We both turned to see who had spoken. Chuks mom came down slowly from the stairs. With her gold framed rectangular googles sitting pretty on her nose, she sized us like 2 peasants as she came down the stairs. 

To be Continued.....

Click here to continue

Written by Rosemary Ugwuogo aka Dauntless

6 Comments

  1. Dear Readers, Thank you for being a part of this journey. Hey! New readers! welcome! You can visit previous chapters by clicking on my name. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For my sure followers, continue by clicking Dauntless

      Delete
  2. Agu nwaanyi!! Hope say Chuks no be mama's boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Dauntless. You are a good writer. 👍

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment