Delulu Express - Episode 1 (Engaged on New Year's Day)



Alright, buckle up, folks! You're here for the gossip-worthy title, admit it! 😂I know I'll get you with that Amebo!  But hey, stick around, I promise we'll have a blast together. Okay, I wanted to start the new year quietly because I was very sad, a lot of sad happenings all around you know. So, imagine this: while everyone's deep into New Year's resolutions and reminiscing over the past year, I'm here dodging 'life-changing' proclamations from internet celebs with and without blue ticks. Can I get an eye roll? 😅. 

Pheww! But, it's quite funny, after replying to all the Happy New Year messages and well wishes, my mind sits in silence to ponder/wonder a little, and that's when it hit me... Oh No!, I can't say... Okay, This is a little bit mental, disclaimer: you are about to enter a moment of pure, unadulterated insanity: Okay, I will say it, I don't care.... in fact, I officially welcome you to Delulu Express, hop on this train and join the jolly ride because I just thought, I mean my brain thought and my insides concurred... I WOULD ABSOLUTELY LOVE TO BE ENGAGED ON NEW YEAR's DAY!

Insane right? Hear me Out! Please just hear me out! I mean, New Year's Day presents a wonderful beginning moment. You know, starting the year with big goals, dreams, aspirations, and to-dos and there's that determination for at least the first 3 months to achieve this so why not? and I know I would be overjoyed if proposed to on that day. Imagine watching your dreams come true right in front of your eyes, and I could cry.

I know, I know, it's like dreaming of flying unicorns, but hear me out. Picture this: it's New Year's Eve, we're in the middle of a house party (because stepping out on NYE? Nah-ah!), and as the countdown begins, he pulls me close and says "Happy New Year my Love!" then he goes down on one knee and asks Please, marry me?. Oh my God, what if the fireworks read "Be My Forever?" and in my shocked confusion, I see the shining ring that rules all of Mordor😝 and everyone shouting awwwn... say yes... say yes... The shock, the awe, the whole shebang—oh, I'd be a sobbing mess!

Or...

Maybe, just maybe, it's not a house party scenario. Picture me at a New Year's Eve Vigil Mass (yep, church vibes). I don't like vigil masses except for Easter Triduum... This is the night! Okay, we are at St. Dominic or his own parish wherever that may be and you know we are singing praises and joyful celebration just before the new year hour. Wait will the church permit such? Let's say he is very intentional and he had earlier discussed with the Parish Priest and Choir and St. Dominic's Orchestra, Dominican Media, or his Parish Orchestra/Media team.  And in a plot twist, the spotlight shifts, and there he is, down on one knee,  beaming chin to chin in bashful conviction, amidst church choir serenades. I can almost see the marriage counseling instructor mentally approving from the corner of my eyes, and Fr. Charles nodding like, 'Yep, that's what we need.' Can I just marry right there? My head is whirling, now I am the center of attention oh... I'd probably faint from sheer delight (smiles in delulu)👀😆

Or...

What if we are both shy, thinking about these experiences, over-excitement would just kill me, it's too much. I sometimes dream of a very private proposal, like we get back from church or a party with friends, and just as we get to the door... rose petals are leading up to the room or parlor or balcony (I love fireworks proposal, forgive me😆), Stephen Sanchez playing in the background or Ed Sheeran, Christina Perri and in all my excitement and surprise, and you know he is not talkative like me so he lets the lyrics do the talking, what in the Romantic, what if it's France or Spain or Italy we are in... Deus Mio! Deus Mi o! Yes!  I do, I will do, I would overdo, a million times and over 

Or...

I know, I'm bordering on loony here, but hey, this is the Delulu Express—hop on and enjoy the ride until your stop!

Now, As I said earlier, I am not a fan of stepping out during New Year's Eve. I would only step out if forced. It's a solemn time for me, to contemplate the goodness of God all through the past year and commit my plans, goals, and expectations for the new year into the Lord's hands. So Personal Quiet Devotion with praises, worship, psalms, bible study, and rosary from 11:30pm till the spirit man is satisfied. So he joins in the devotion and we pray together, as we round up, telling God our plans, I hear him mention it in prayers but I mean na normal thing, and at the end of the prayer, he brings out the ring and asks me for real... mehn... I can't even begin to can't... pam pam para pam pam para... the wedding chant has started in my head already. It's a Yes for me!

Or...

What if we are in the village, oh village love can sweet ehn, wait, my parents will be there, no, I will just faint. but it would be so amazing and right that my parents know before me because phewww! I don't even know how to open this mouth and tell my father that I have a boyfriend, so honey please report yourself to them first, if they give you go go-ahead, then you do the needful.

I don't even care how he does it. He can ask in the morning, I can wake up to the ring on my finger and a huge beaming smile or he can call my friends and plan the perfect surprise engagement day. He can do it privately or publicly, over dinner, or at the movies, with a whisper or gramophone, Over a picnic, or by the beach, in a yacht or at the airport, home or Wakanda, anyhow and anywhere, morning, afternoon or night, New Year's Day engagement is the dream! It's not just about the grandeur; it's about crafting a love story that starts each year with a bang. I mean, imagine the tradition! Sharing our tale with the kids, planning for the future, and celebrating our love amidst the new year's buzz—it's pure magic!

I sincerely appreciate Men would go all out to plan a perfect surprise engagement for their love interests, It's not even about the awwns and trends. It's not about all that. I know Social Media keeps us delulu. But with the rise in divorces and marital crises every year, we, the hopeless romantic singlets, need constant reminders that True Love stories are still out there, covenant marriages are still possible and will happen at the appointed time, as the Lord wills.

Sure, I haven't been engaged on New Year's Day... yet. But hey, a girl can dream, can't she?

Welcome aboard the Delulu Express—where dreams run wild, and love's always in the air!

Happy New Year!!

Written by Rosemary Ugwuogo aka Dauntless


6 Comments

  1. I like the delulu express
    Me I want to do asoebiii oo
    And the new year eve proposal is just swoon worthy.
    Imagine celebrating a new year with the anniversary 😍😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hold your horses, one thing before another, we'll first find man, before asoebi... biko

      Delete
  2. I was grinning ear to ear tho. Well. I actually saw a New Year's proposal and it was beautiful . The truth is in the end the things we wish for actually come to reality. Your delulu shall soon be your realulu

    ReplyDelete
  3. StellaMharis EkeneChukwu11 January 2024 at 09:19

    This woman😩🔥❤️!
    I could read this over and over and again Mehn! You are good!

    Well done sis👏

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment